Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christ-loves-us

There's so much more to Christmas than a day off work (unless you're a staff nurse and you have to work anyway) or getting a load of cool stuff from your friends and family (unless your friends and family are on a tight budget and pass out hugs instead).  (:

Christmas is so full of traditions that we sometimes get lost in the busy-ness and lose the real meaning. We all know it's about the birth of Jesus, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about loving others and giving because He loves us and gave to us.

You know John 3:16 (KJV), "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

He didn't just "love" us, He "so loved" us and gave the ultimate gift: everlasting life!

When you genuinely love others you want to give to them.

I've been desperately trying to teach my children that it's so much more fun to give than to receive, but how do you effectively teach a 3 year old and 6 year old that lesson?

I figured it out tonight! My dad took my son over to their next door neighbor's house to give that little boy (a playmate of my son) a tin of popcorn for Christmas. When my son returned, he was beaming and jumping around in excitement.

He exclaimed, "Mason, loved the popcorn so much! He was so happy he was jumping around and yelling to his family about it!" I said, "see how good it feels to give to someone else?" My son said, "yes, mom, I finally get it! I'm so happy because Mason was so happy!" I said, "exactly!"

Although everyone you give to won't respond in such exuberance, you find deep satisfaction in knowing that you blessed someone else. You might not ever know how much someone needed to be shown love through a simple gift, and might not ever know the difference you have made.

However, taking satisfaction in knowing that you are showing love, like Christ showed love, is reward enough. So give. Not just at Christmas, but always, throughout the New Year. Make that a New Year's resolution!




No comments:

Post a Comment